Mentoring gives you an opportunity to receive continuing feedback from a published writer who can really get to know your work. We can offer on-going support over a period of time, whether online (telephone, email, skype) or in person, or both.
Whether you are a new writer or have substantial writing experience, we can offer focused critique, idea development and support overcoming creative blocks. If you are preparing to submit your work to publishers or agents, we can provide professional expertise and guidance.
If you’re thinking about a creative writing MA but can’t afford the time or financial commitment, mentoring is a good alternative. (It can also be combined with our intermediate course.) This is a great opportunity to build a relationship with a professional writer and learn your craft on a one-on-one basis.
Our mentoring packages are priced competitively against the cost of an MA and similar courses. It is during face-to-face (or Skype/phone) meetings that you and your mentor are most likely to find new ideas and solutions to problems through discussion, which is a creative process in itself. The on-going relationship with your mentor over a period of time allows for redrafting between discussions, with the aim of producing a publishable piece of work. Deadlines help writers prioritise their work-in-progress. We can offer this service for a novel, a collection of short stories, a screenplay or piece of creative nonfiction.
Here are some examples of mentoring packages. These can be altered to suit your needs:
- Three submissions of up to 10k words over six months. You will receive written feedback, and a meeting (or phone or Skype call) to discuss each one. Cost: £660
- Three submissions of a 90-minute screenplay or 60-minute TV pilot with ten-page series outline over a year, with a meeting (or phone or Skype call) to discuss each one. Cost: £660
- Six submissions of up to 10k words over 12 months. You will receive written feedback, and a meeting (or phone or Skype call) to discuss each one.
- Getting started: prompts, recommended reading and deadlines provided, followed by written feedback on work submitted. Six submissions of up to 5k words: Cost: £500
- Initial meeting to discuss novel synopsis or plan, and first three chapters if available. Further four meetings to discuss progress over the course of 12 months, with up to 10k words submitted before each for feedback and discussion. A final manuscript assessment and meeting when full draft has been completed. Cost: £1500
All the above offers can be tailored – with more or fewer submissions/meetings, or by adding specific services. These might include:
- Support and guidance with structuring your writing time, getting your draft finished, developing your writing
- Shaping a short story collection
- Final reading/polishing of manuscript, at line-edit level
…or anything else you can think of!
We’re happy to talk about what would be most helpful to you, and how to deliver it. Please get in touch at firstname.lastname@example.org to find out more.