Our six-week Beginning to write course in June 2016 proved very popular (as well as being a lot of fun). Since evenings don’t suit everyone, and we don’t want anyone to miss out, we decided to condense the whole Beginning to write course into a one-day intensive beginners’ workshop!
The one-day workshop will cover the five key topics from the Beginning to write course:
- Generating ideas: how to pluck ideas from the world and turn them into stories
- Building strong characters: creating characters that feel real, and how much character dictates plot
- Creating a sense of place: analysing those settings that come to life, and looking at ways to reflect your characters’ inner states
- Writing great dialogue: looking closely at how dialogue works best on the page, and how it differs from ‘real life’ conversation
- Developing plot and story: giving your story a satisfying shape, and figuring out where to start and end.
For each topic we’ll look at great examples from published fiction, discuss techniques, and do some writing exercises together. There will be plenty of time for questions and trouble-shooting along the way, and of course to stop for tea and cake.
Cost: Early Bird £135. Full fee £169. Special offer available during January 2017: book two places and each receive 20% off the course price.
Date and time: Saturday 28th January 2017, 10am – 5pm (prompt 10am start so please arrive 15 mins before). The course will run a second time on Saturday 7th October, 10am-5pm.
Location: On 28th January, 2017, this one-day course will be held at the beautiful Keynes Library, Gordon Square – part of the house where Virginia Woolf and Vanessa Bell lived before they were married.
Tutors: This course will be taught by both Lily Dunn and Zoe Gilbert of London Lit Lab. By leading workshops together, we are able to bring two perspectives to everything we teach, and therefore everything is up for discussion! Sharing our differing approaches to writing helps to create a richer learning experience, which we believe benefits everyone who comes on our courses.
Click here to read some feedback on our 2016 courses.
If you have any questions, or would like to register for a place, please email us on email@example.com.